Sunday 31 January 2010

Unusual motive power, Jeziorki

Above: In my 12 years living around these parts, I've seen coal trains bound for Siekierki power station with one loco in front; with one pulling in front and one pushing from behind, I've seen two pulling and one pushing, I've seen three engines coupled together, running light, but I've not yet seen three pulling. This triple header (SM42-1075 in front of two SM48s) is heading towards Siekierki via the marshalling yards at Konstancin-Jeziorna with a full load of coal. It's a tough winter! You can see how much smaller the Polish-built SM42 is compared to the 'Tamaras' (Russian-built SM48s, also known as TEM2s).

Above: A very rare sight - an ET41, which is a permanently coupled pair of engines used mainly for hauling heavy coal trains from the Silesian coalfields to the Baltic ports. The unit replaces the EU07 loco, usually used for pulling Koleje Mazowieckie double-decker trains on the Radom to Warsaw line. This train was on bang time (unless it was the earlier one running 110 minutes late). Click labels below for more railway pics around Jeziorki.

2 comments:

Dyspozytor said...

Great photos. I have cross-posted the ET41 photo on BTWT with a back-link to your post.

Aphelion said...

Love your railway pictures, as always - they bring back lots of nice memories for me, too!