Railway musings south of Warsaw

Thursday, 17 September 2026

Late summer, sublime

As summer slips away, my usual injunction to make the most of it. My daily routine is changing. With the sun now rising well after six am, I am no longer dropping the blinds in my bedroom. I am finding that the early sunsets mean I feel like going to bed earlier, and thus I get out of bed earlier.

Two walks today, a total of 16,000 paces.

I set off for my first walk just after 8am, the sun still low in the sky. The benefit of rising early.


Below: the orchards are groaning with apples again; despite the late frost and dry spring, the harvest looks like it's going to be a good one.


Below: the top end of the farm track from Jakubowizna as it reaches Grobice. One sad piece of news – the small grocery store just around the corner from here seems to have closed for good. I would occasionally pop while on walks, for water, non-alcoholic beer or indeed beer. And salt snacks. But never any bigger grocery purchases. The recent opening of two supermarkets in Chynów may have contributed to the closure of yet another small local shop within walking distance of my działka, the fifth since I bought the place.


Left: the bottom end of ulica Słoneczna as it joins ul. Główna. Just gone midday, and I'm on my way to Chynów for a few tins of cat food and some cleaning materials – and lunch.

Below: driving to the supermarket car park in a four-wheel-drive, Chynów style. Note the digger at work on the left; there's been a major remont of the water mains in Chynów for the past few weeks. Today I got an SMS from the local water utility that there'd be limited water pressure or even no water from 11:00 to 16:00; a good excuse not to cook lunch but to dine out at Loft Chynów.


Yesterday's morning sky was entirely cloudless. By the early afternoon, thin wispy strands began slowly moving in from the west; by the evening, drops of rain began to fall. The forecast for the coming week is rain, rain, rain and more rain. 


My aesthetic is sunny. Blue skies I love, any time of year. Grey skies = less photography. 

This time last year:
Flying the flag in Wola

This time three years ago:
Plenitude in the Year's Fruition

This time four years ago:
Behold the wonder of the commonplace

This time five years ago
The force-field of fate

This time six years ago:
Hot in the city

This time seven years ago:
Resting with the heroes

This time nine years ago:
Polish employers' demographic challenge
[Immigration and AI seem to be solving the problem today...]

This time 14 years ago:
The rich, the poor, the entrepreneur

This time 15 years ago:
Bittersweet

This time 16 years ago:
Commuting made easy

This time 17 years ago:
Work starts on the S79/S2 'Elka'

This time 18 years ago:
Warsaw's accident-filled streets

This time 19 years ago:
Return to Zamienie

No comments:

Post a Comment