Saturday 6 October 2007

Milestones


Two days after my 50th birthday, I find myself in our car waiting half an hour for my son to come back from his scout troop's bicycle trip around the Las Kabacki forest. Meanwhile, I'm playing about with my new Nokia N95, listening to music on it, checking out its photographic capability. I take a snapshot of myself - it comes out well for a spontaneous test snap on a phone camera. So I'm posting it as a milestone (another reference there to Miles Davis, which happens to be my ringtone) of how I looked, aged 50. This was me.

"You'll look funny when you're fifty" - a line from Nick Roeg's film 'Performance', spoken by James Fox to Mick Jagger (then 25). The line is sampled in Big Audio Dynamite's 1986 hit, E=MC2 (one of my all-time favourite singles), which appeared when I was 28. Now, Sir Mick is 64 and I'm 50!

No comments: