Friday 18 December 2009

Roads work today as rails let me down

Ah! dawns like these. Yesterday the roads let me down, today, I shall let the train take the strain. Set off from home, along ul. Karczunkowska... not a bus in sight. But the roads are clear of snow, the ploughs and the gritters have been working hard overnight to ensure black asphalt. But note also complete lack of pavements on Karczunkowska, cleared of snow or otherwise.

On the edges of the roads we have breja - frozen muddy snow slush; even with salt and grit on the roads it will not melt. The temperature was -13C when I took these pics. (Daytime high again was -11C.) With temperatures this low, breja does not even melt inside buses.

On the road to Jeziorki, this scene fills me with that old familiarity of things from beyond my childhood experience. Scandinavia or the USA in the 1940s/50s? Looking at the pic, I find it precisely satisfies the sense of what I saw and felt at the time.

I arrive at W-wa Jeziorki station in good time for the 09:06 into town. I wait in the cold for around half an hour for a train that would never come. The lady at the level crossing gatehouse tells me that the first train to Warsaw is expected around 11:30. Fortunately there's a bus at hand to take me to Wilanowska and the Metro.

Across the road from my office, I snap this snow-covered Fiat 125P ('Duży Fiat'). The design dates back to 1967. On my way home tonight the Radom train arrives a mere five minutes late and arrives at Jeziorki with another five minute delay. Getting back to normal, in other words.

2 comments:

Aphelion said...

The photos are great, I love the colours in the sky, especially in the first one! And those birches in the snow also remind me of something, only it's not Scandinavia or the USA...

news said...

¨The lady at the level crossing gatehouse tells me that the first train to Warsaw is expected around 11:30.¨ Good to see that it is not only in Britain that transport grinds to a halt when the snow comes. Indeed, I tell all and sundry in the UK that chaos descends on the transport sector in countries such as Poland, Russia, Sweden etc when the snow comes. Nobody` believes though.