Wednesday 15 September 2010

Battle of Britain, 70 years on

Like the Battle of Warsaw in August 1920, the Battle of Britain is remembered as a turning point in history where the forces of evil were turned back. Today marks the 70th anniversary of the battle's deciding day, and of course the Polish contribution to this great victory needs to be marked. It is not just the legendary 303 Sqn, symbolic of Polish pilots' prowess in air-to-air combat; 302 Sqn also took an active part (downing 20 Nazi aircraft), while 307 Sqn flying Defiant night-fighters in Lincolnshire, was not yet operational. Some 70 Polish pilots also fought in 24 non-Polish RAF squadrons, and were credited with an additional 80 kills.

A Spitfire LF Mk XVIE TB995, ZF-O, from 308 (Polish) Sqn, from Kraków Air Museum. The squadron became operational only after the Battle of Britain, the aircraft itself a late-mark Spitfire from 1945. It's a shame that there isn't a Hurricane in any Polish air museum; it was flying these planes that the great majority of Polish pilots' aerial victories were scored during the Battle of Britain.

Below: in Battle of Britain colours, a Hurricane I (foreground) and Spitfire I on display in London's Science Musuem - a favourite childhood destination for me.

I remember the pilots - of all Allied nationalities - and give them thanks for their endeavours and sacrifice in keeping Britain free 70 years ago. Especially those crippled or burned and disfigured in the dogfights over Southern England that summer who endured decades of indignity as the price for our freedom.

CZEŚĆ ICH PAMIĘĆI

6 comments:

adthelad said...

I saw Eletryczne Gitary yesterday morning with a new composition entitled 'Dywizjon 303' in which they recall how in the UK in 1945 the Poles were not allowed to take part in the victory in Europe celebrations.

basia said...

ad: don't understand your beef with the post.

Lovely photos (as usual) commemorating the valiant and heroic efforts of Polish airmen.

Michael Dembinski said...

@ Basia - misunderstanding with Ad all cleared up via an exchange of SMSs :-)

Casey Klahn said...

Well blogged! The Polish pilots are well represented, I think, in the movie Battle of Britain. Also, in the movie A Bridge Too Far.

ARCHIVE said...

Michael,

Did you have a family member in the Polish Air Force in Exile? I have been researching 304 Squadron for about five years and your name is very familiar. I have just stumbled across your excellent blog and I had to contact you to ask the question. I have not had time to look at my records!

Regards,
Neville Bougourd

Michael Dembinski said...

@ Neville -

No, my father fought in the Warsaw Uprising (as indeed did my mother-in-law); my father-in-law fought with the Polish Navy, my mother went through Siberia with Gen. Anders.