Sunday 24 October 2010

A slow farewell to my Nissan Micra

The Micra's current przegląd techniczny (Polish equivalent of MoT certificate) expired yesterday. I cannot legally take the car out onto the road. Should I have the local garage look over it and get it fixed for another year of careful motoring? Sadly, I feel that the dear, faithful Micra has reached the end of its road. 

Although the engine's fine (we had a nice run to the rubbish recycling depot in Łubna), brakes, gearbox, clutch etc - rust is attacking it from all angles, and the car's Achilles' heel - its electrics - are ropey. Both are the direct result of the state of Warsaw's roads in winter. Salt used to keep the asphalt clear of ice rusts the undersides of the car body while salty water sprayed up into the engine bay plays havoc with the alternator and wiring. I fear the cost of repairing bodywork and electrics will run into a couple of thousand zlotys; not worth sinking this much into keeping the Micra roadworthy.

Loaded up for its last journey

Although the car was running well yesterday, driving it in bad weather does not engender confidence. The windscreen wipers wipe sloooowly, the headlights fade, the radio loses volume. I think back to the times when it has conked out. Plus, the car has not, in six years, ever gone more than 20 miles from home. Fear of a breakdown is one reason, but more pertinent is the fact that the steering wheel's on the wrong side, which makes overtaking slow-moving agricultural vehicles an impossibility. 

 I feel great sentimental attachment to the car. It was bought in May 1993 when Moni was not four months old. My father, Moni and I went to the Nissan dealership with Moni in her carry-cot. I had decided on the cute and thrifty Micra after doing the research, but needed to see if the carry-cot would fit into the boot. It did, so I bought the car. It will be very, very sad to see it go. We have had so many adventures together. And to replace it? Another Nissan Micra. 

The current shape will be replaced an entirely bland and character-free Micra Mk IV in the New Year, so my thinking is that there will be great bargains available on the Mk III Micras from the 2010. Currently the base three-door car starts at 39,000 złotys with a 2,000 złoty discount - though my guess is that dealers will be offering much greater incentives to clear the old-shape cars from their showrooms come January. Between then and now? I shall continue cycling until the snow comes; I feel no personal shame in using public transport, especially with a quarterly travel card giving me unlimited use of buses, trams, Metro and local trains for a mere 2.10 złotys a day. Until the new car is bought, the Micra will sit in the drive, I'm sure it is aware of its sad fate.

UPDATE: The Micra stood outside the house for three years as a gate guardian, and was finally sold for scrap in September 2013 at the age of 20. It was not replaced. In the intervening time, I had realised that I had no need for a car, new or used. 

3 comments:

student SGH said...

Sad news... I thought it would happen some time later and your car would hit two decades of good service before it conks out...

Any ideas on what to do with the old car with the steering wheel on the wrong side other than leaving it in a forest? Is it possible to scrap it in Poland?

I feel no personal shame in using public transport

So why so many Poles treat it as a humiliation?

used car dealer NJ said...

You did more loading on your Nissan. But as I hope it is not too much. I'm just excited to buy this super Nissan Micra soon.

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear your faithful car is retiring. I sadly miss my favourite and long lived car as well. Make sure you get some pictures of it from the inside, worn out as it may be. My parents still talk about their favourite cars from years ago, but sadly they don't have many pictures to remember them by.