Friday 27 June 2008

Rain, wind and fire

As I left the office this evening, I could see that the weather was shaping up a summer storm. The cloud was dark, the wind was picking up; heavy raindrops were beginning to fall onto the dusty earth. Soon the rain was pelting down. Driving along ul. Sikorskiego, I noticed a plume of brown smoke drifting across the six carriageways. Pulling up in front of the gas station by the Canal+ building, I leapt out of the car into the pouring rain, the wind whipping across from the west, and I ran in the direction of a fire engine's flashing lights. There was a widespread grass fire in the scrubland between the road and the allotments beyond. Firefighters were engaging the flames, though they were spreading fast through the dry vegetation by the strong wind.

It was raining; hard and this would eventually help the firemen put the fire out. Note in the photo above how the sparks spread the fire, setting off mini-fires in the foreground. Thunder and lightning accompanied the heavy downpour; it's possible that a lighting strike sparked the fire. I continued home in the hard driving rain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

But It was necessary rain. After the storm I was cycling around my favourite Grabowskie Lake. The air was clean and the meadows smell really nice, so I remembered phrase: "...gdzie bursztynowy świerzop, gryka jak śnieg biała..."...heh.
ps. The first equestrian racing will start tomorrow at Służewiec hippodorme 2.30 pm! I wrote about this at "Crumbling neo... Comments Table). It will be great time =)