Monday 7 June 2010

Still struggling with the flood waters

As predicted, today was a day of intense road traffic chaos in and around Jeziorki. At half past nine this morning, ul. Karczunkowska was jammed up solid at least as far as the railway line (and I suspect much further up too). Ul. Trombity is closed, as is ul. Nawłocka (for regular roadworks - they're having sewers installed lucky them) and of course ul. Starzyńskiego in Dawidy Bankowe. Result - all that traffic coming into town from Lesznowola, Magdalenka, Nadarzyn and beyond gets hopelessly stuck onto one narrow road with no rat-running options available. Below: ul. Gogolińska still flooded, but the waters are now low enough for passenger cars to wade through.

Today I did took the bike-train-bike option. Cycled to W-wa Jeziorki, took the first post-rush hour train (which in any case was very full - there were three other bikes in my compartment). This way of getting in is optimal although tomorrow I have to be in early and the rush hour trains are so packed with commuters at normal times that taking a bike on board is impossible.
Cycling home from W-wa Dawidy, I rode down ul. Kórnicka and Trombity. The streets are now officially declared no through roads, yet still people try to drive down them, only to be turned back by the authorities. Below: Residents of ul. Trombity 24 A to S preparing sandbag barrier to close their 280 metre long cul-de-sac running off from the street (to the left of this pic). There's a storm predicted for Wednesday. Water has nowhere to go but down this stretch.
The problem is with topography. The point from where this photo was taken is 101 metres above sea level. Our estate, 200m further up the road, is at 104 metres. If you go 200m in the other direction, behind me, the road again rises to 104 metres. So water from the fields will naturally run off towards this point.

The fire service cannot do much; pumping water away from here, it will only flow back down. Syphoning it away in water tankers makes sense but despite the scores of journeys of ten-tonne (or even greater capacity) cisterns yesterday, the water level (as you can see) is still only slightly lower.

I sympathise with neighbours living along this stretch of our road; many here have had their ground floor rooms flooded and are still without electricity. I felt I should go home, get my wellies and shovel and help fill sandbags - but then I remembered my recuperating shoulder. An hour's shovelling sand would not have helped my recovery.

No comments: