Wednesday 27 January 2010

Winter and broken-down trains

What a sight greeted my eyes (above) as I got off the train at W-wa Powiśle this morning! A Pruszków-bound SKM train had broken down some 200 metres east of the end of the platform. As you can see, it's modern rolling stock, not a 40-year old EN57. I can only guess the passengers had to wait a fair old while before being told that they can get off the train and walk to Powiśle.

Above: social solidarity in action. Strangers were helping one another up onto the platform, not an easy climb when wearing thick winter clothing and clumpy footwear.

Above: I get the story into the following day's Gazeta Stołeczna, which earns me 200 złotys.

Right: Another view of winter hitting public transport; the bus stop at Rondo ONZ is one of the busier ones in Warsaw.

As I awaited a 155 back to the office after a meeting, three buses turned up at once. The one at the rear had to stop past the area from where the snow had been cleared. Passengers had to get off the bus by leaping over heaps of icy snow. Dangerous.

My train home was on time, though waiting for it, I spared a thought for passengers aboard the 15:47 departure from Siedlce to W-wa Zachodnia. At W-wa Śródmieście, this Koleje Mazowieckie service was advertised as being 120 minutes late. A record for a local train?

Weatherwise, today saw the really heavy frosts and blue skies replaced by snow-bearing clouds. Pressure dropped by 30 hPa in under 24 hours (from 1020 to 990!); fresh snow helped brighten the grey and tired mountains of ice piled up on the edges of Warsaw streets. More snow expected through to Saturday, then deep frosts to return.

Aha! And more here about the broken-down SKM train, in Polish.

6 comments:

student SGH said...

seen and read the article.

I thought about switching to trains for the period when Puławska is narrowed to two lanes owing to construction works on junction Puławska, but now, when every day I get the news that trains break down, are late, don't run at all the scenario of being stuck in the middle of nowhere puts me off this idea.

The new one is to buy a flat in Ursynów and go almost everywhere by metro. Plus I wouldn't have to clear the snow.

I wonder what happened today. In the morning Warsaw was covered by around 5 centimetres of snow and now I see a blizzard behind my window. Tough luck...

Anonymous said...

This is actually an old EN57 just "modernised".

Michael Dembinski said...

No - this is the streamlined,Newag-built 14WE three-car set.(14-WE 23b)

Anonymous said...

It really is ridiculous.
I thought it was only the English that couldn't cope.
Raf

Gawel said...

More about Koleje Mazowieckie in blog by Marek:
http://1435mm.bloog.pl/?ticaid=698b6

14WE called as "New Train" :) based on 40-year old EN57 original underframe, boogie, DC motors, motor gearbox, and EN57 basic design concept, it's 80-yer old English Electric resistor start system idea - same as non-modernized EN57.

Marcyś said...

Anyway the spirit of the polish comedy "Miś" is still alive.
Look at this link