Sunday 14 August 2011

Sublime evening in the garden

The Golden Time of Day; the magic hour draws near. I sit on a deckchair sipping a beer (Żywiec Porter, an excellent brew let down - as most Polish beers are - by being too sweet), gazing across the side garden as the sun dips below the trees. That sublime mood of well-being comes over me.

Time to immortalise the evening for the blog. I nip in for the camera, and take a few shots to share here. Below: looking south-west from the patio - the trees and bushes have matured over the nine and half years since we moved into a house that essentially had no garden, just 1,200 sq. m. of soil.

Below: view of the house from the back garden. Sky made bluer with polarising filter. Some bare patches in the soil, resulting from most recent mole invasion.


4 comments:

student SGH said...

Truly beautiful!

How come you weren't eaten up by mosquitos? In my garden it's impossible to hang around in the evening as insects lord it over!

Michael Dembinski said...

They are dreadful this year - far worse than last year, despite similar amounts of standing water. I think a programme of breeding dragonflies would be in order :-)

Davai Smith said...

I share a similar view on Porter - far too sweet for my British pallet. Have you tried the Badger ales available from Dobrewino in good old Warsaw? I would recommend Golden Champion or Golden Glory for a summer evening in the garden.

Michael Dembinski said...

@ Davai Smith

As it happens, the BPCC will be having its next (members only) business mixer at Dobrewina's warehouse next Thursday. Details
here.

I shall certainly try some Badger's ales (with my 23% BPCC discount card valid at Dobrewina)!