Tuesday 21 January 2020

Car disposal day

A sad, sad parting - my father's car, bought new in December 1992 (via Austin Rover's Journalist Discount Scheme), was finally taken away for scrap. It has been standing outside the house, undriven, since it's last drive out to the Polish War Memorial in Northolt in June 2018, where it failed to start. A rescue van came, the guy said the alternator was no longer charging the battery. And the clutch plate was slipping. Total cost of new clutch plate and a new alternator parts plus labour would have been around £350; you can buy a runner for less. Because my father reversed it into the wall, creasing the boot, right at the end of his driving days, the car was not suitable for restoration - too many bent panels.

Had it become a classic? In my younger days, a car over 20 years old would have been considered one - no vehicle excise duty to pay, cheap insurance - but now, a classic car is recognised by the state as 'historic' if built before January 1979 - 41 years.

It was SORNed (Statutory Off-Road Notice) and left in the drive where it had always stood since new, now as a gate guardian. A part of the landscape.

Below: from space, three views of the family house in West Ealing, the first from 1999, the earliest on Google Earth, the second from the spring of 2015, the third from last summer.


The last photo, 07:10 am, Tuesday 21 January 2020; over 27 years since it first arrived. There was an overnight frost, which made it hard for me to open the doors to place the documents and keys inside. I checked the interior for belongings and found about 65p in the hidey-hole for coins, a tiny leather football, a button, a till receipt, a pay-and-display parking ticket.


I came home from a business meeting in town, and it had gone. On the doormat - a cheque for £165 (exactly as much as the online scrap-car price calculator had quoted me) and the slip that I had to send to the Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency. By the evening I had received via email a DVLA Certificate of Destruction, to print out and keep. Praise for the scrapping company, Redcorn - very efficient and trustworthy operator.

Below: the sight that greeted me on return home - note the moss, the tyre marks, the condensation drips from the exhaust pipe - and a small oil stain under where the sump would have been.


Gone - but never to be forgotten. In particular the smell of the interior, which reminded me of summer holidays in North Wales when the children were small. It will always be 'Dziadzia-Auto' to us.

An old post here, outlining the car's history with our family.

This time two years ago
Notes from the Arena of the Unwell

This time three years ago:
The magic of a dawn flight

This time four years ago:
Warsaw as a voivodship

This time six years ago:
Around town in the snow

This time eight years ago:
Reference books are dead

This time nine years ago:
A winter walk to work, and wet socks

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very poignant. Something deep captured about permanence and impermanence.

I managed 17 miles last year in my 30yr old Fiesta. It's SORN or scrap at this year's end.

Frater Oilchange

Michael Dembinski said...

@Frater Oilchange

Phoarrr! Dew yew like hoarding 30-year-old Fiestas?

- Frater Aitchand E.

Anonymous said...

I dew, I dew, I dew. A beloved vehicle that passes its MOT every year, covered in rust and moss and my perfect utility vehicle for shopping locally. But with the Ultra low emissions scheme widening its scope, it will cost me summat every time I take it out...Coum 2021.

Frater Old Faithful

Michael Dembinski said...

@Frater Old Faithful

Sounds like it needs a good home - a motor museum focusing on the automotive history of the late 20th century...

Frater Bew Leigh

Anonymous said...

That is a capital idea. It is always a focus of interest, yes knoe.

Frater SORN-in-half shut and cut

Teresa Flanagan said...

It is indeed sad and poignant to see the last vestiges of our deceased parents’ lives be taken away. My father also had a treasured car, that he diligently cared for and drove for many years, until he couldn’t. The vision of the hollow, empty space in the garage after it was hauled away for scrap, still clutches at my heart, 20 years later.

Michael Dembinski said...

@ Teresa

The house is still there; every inch of which is soaked with the memory of the past 50 years (we moved in on 1 May 1970). My son and my brother's son are making use of it, keeping the old place in the family. Long may it stay so.