Saturday 18 July 2020

Summer działka joy

How good to be back - even after a brief five-day absence - in Jakubowizna. The rain passed in the afternoon; I boarded the southbound 18:42 train from W-wa Jeziorki and was in Chynów 29 minutes later, and by 19:25 I was on my działka, under an evening sun. Such joy to walk up the long path to the house; the grapes are ripening, my meadow is full of flowers.

My visits are getting longer, so I'm bringing more supplies each time, plus dish-cloths and towels, spare socks etc. I drop everything and open the garage, get out a motorbike and ride into Chynów, only to find that J&B Snack Bar was closing and that I was too late for a double spicy burger. I had somehow imagined that the J&B would be the hub, the nexus of Chynów's swinging nightlife, with 1950s automobiles parked up round it rather like Mel's Drive-In featured in the film American Graffiti. But no - five to eight, the grill was switched off, the last diners were finishing their zapiekanki and the staff were preparing to go home. So out on to the DK 50 and the BP petrol station for kiełbasa biała with mustard in a hot-dog bun - quintessential Polish road food for six złotys (£1.20).

I ride home at dusk, going round the long way to experience the joys. The air is cooler, the smells of rural summer fill my nostrils. That moment when the road enters a forest and suddenly a new set of smells prevail, the setting sun casting long shadows ahead of me as I ride due west from Adamów to Machcin. Winding slowly through the villages, leaving time to observe and enjoy, is the way to go - not blasting along at speed. Something that occurred while test-driving Rolls-Royces, Bentleys and other fine motorcars back in the old country - if you drive at 30, twice as many people have a chance to admire you as you pass compared to driving at 60. Assuming of course you're driving (or riding) something worth looking at - and no, a black BMW X5 doesn't merit a glance.

Something I noticed many a time around here - the past-life flashbacks occur more frequently and more intensely; that ethereal, numinous connection to another time, another place is such an important part of my being. Sunsets bring it on, but summer sunsets in southern Mazovia are particularly powerful in provoking atavistic resurgence.

Back on the działka it's time to unwind. I have bought a bottle of Grodzisk White IPA - a hoppy India Pale Ale flavoured with Earl Grey Sencha tea. Good to see craft beers on regular sale at Lidl.

A place in the country, everyone's ideal

Saturday - I ride into town, Chynów's like an American country town in the 1950s. Hardware store. Groceries, supplies. Work trimming back the forest. Then it's time to pick the cherries. Never ask me whose.

Dripping with fruit

Big thanks to 'Grandpa Peter' and 'Uncle Staś' for helping out on the land and for the erudite discussions today guys!

This time last year:

This time two years ago:
New Nikons on the way!

This time eight years ago:
Work continues on S2, going under the railway lines

This time nine years ago:
Stand Easy! - a short story

This time 12 years ago:
God Save The Queen - I mean it, Ma'am

This time 13 years ago:
Legoland, Dawidy Poduchowne

No comments: