Thursday 6 August 2020

Between wakefulness and sleep

The mind is where we are really at; our consciousness. We slip in and out of it as we go to sleep. If you have a nap during the day and wake up in the night for a wee, you will be passing through this fascinating zone six times in a 24-hour period. It's a universal phenomenon, biologists believe it affects most species of animals too, yet we pay it too little attention. 

Healthy sleep is a blessing; I am fortunate (and grateful) for not having any difficulties with falling asleep at night and sympathise with those who do. I can be fast asleep within a minute of my head touching the pillow. Faster than it takes me to give thanks for the day in most cases!

The moments of passing from one state to the other fascinate me; I try to observe what's happening to me as the day's events are processed in my mind. I find myself contemplating some issue, trying to unravel it, and then discovering that, although it's familiar to me, it did not actually happen. At this stage, with this going on, I fall asleep. This is the subconscious seeping into the conscious; it feels real - but isn't connected to reality. Trying to think about this phenomenon too analytically at the time may bring me back to the fully wakeful state - otherwise, I just drop off into sleep quickly.  

My return to consciousness is usually flavoured by the last dream I had. If I am awakened suddenly - by a noise, or by a startling dream - that dream, and its atmosphere, remains strongly present in my mind. The worst dreams I find are those that are circular, repetitive and boring rather than excitingly frightening. 

"I had this strangest dream..."

I will have a daytime nap two or three times a week - usually after going to bed late the night before (writing or editing photos) and waking up early. A half-hour to 45-minute snooze in the late afternoon is refreshing. And it gives me another opportunity to experience that magical moment of slipping out of consciousness. Waking up again after a daytime nap can be disconcerting, especially during the winter months of darkness. Is it morning? Or early evening?

A late coffee (taken after midday) won't keep me awake as I go to bed, but it will stop me from falling asleep quickly when I wake up in the night. The caffeine that's still in the bloodstream has a potent effect. This can lead to frustrating minutes of sleeplessness. It is in this condition that consciously focusing on the transition between wakefulness and sleep can be counterproductive. As I finally feel I'm starting the journey, I suddenly return to being fully awake again.

Given that we pass through this state at least twice every 24 hours, it's worth having a go at consciously 'being there' and applying some analysis to how it happens in your case. Remember, we can all agree to the gram how heavy you or I are; we know to the minute how old you or I are - but what goes on within my mind is something only known unto me - and what goes on within your conscious mind is something only known unto you.

It can be a deeply mystical experience - for me, it is reaching out into the Hereafter; a reminder that consciousness and quantum mechanics allow for a far greater range of possibilities than our daily routines allow.

Close your eyes and drift away... but to where?

This time three years ago:

This time six years ago:
In search of quintessential English countryside

This time seven years ago:
Behold and See - short story, Pt III

This time 10 years ago:
Another return to Penrhos

No comments: