Wednesday 10 March 2021

Muscle memory, mindfulness and metaphysics: Lent 2021, Day 22

How much of our lives are lived on autopilot? We all know that feeling of 'motorway hypnosis' when we've covered mile after mile without being able to remember any of it. "Have we already passed Junction 15?" We may not consciously remember, but the subconscious mind is processing all the information needed to drive safely - keeping distance from the car in front, using the rear-view mirrors, signalling before a manoeuvre. Yet the landscape flashes past, with only the occasional moment of  recognition - an unusual vehicle, an accident in the opposite lane, a distant church spire.

It's easy for our lives to become long stretches of motorway, the days passing us like featureless junctions, our movements, our responses merely automatic, practiced, subconscious.

Last summer, I wrote about muscle memory and I how I have taught myself good practice in remembering not to forget. In particular, I mentioned the coffee machine in the kitchen, how I have learnt to instinctively switch it off properly at the mains behind the machine, rather than just stop the hot water flow - that way I know I've not left home with it on all day long. That 'mind hack' worked well until the New Year when I began doing squats while the coffee was pouring (so as not to waste time). Thirty squats while the mug filled up, quite a challenge for the morning! Racing to do all 30 before the coffee overflows, my instinct is to stop the flow by swiping the silver lever to the left, rather than to use the practiced move of the hand round the back of the machine. Three times I left the machine on to boil away! Fortunately due to working from home, it was noticed before too long. Things change, automatic routines, muscle memory, needs an update. Standing up from the last squat - switch machine off at the back!

Latterly, I found that because my peripheral vision is getting weaker, I sometimes brush the door-frame with my shoulder. Again, I quickly noticed this and put a mental workaround in place to stop this from becoming commonplace. Observation, conscious appraisal of situation, worked into muscle memory.

My mother's favourite Latin saying, quidquid agis, prudenter agas, et respice finem, ("Whatever you do, do it it prudently, with the outcome in mind") continues to grow in wisdom from year to year. Literally whatever you do - from jumping over a small obstacle to planning a conference, you should think its consequences through, and do it mindfully.

I last mentioned this saying in December after successfully overcoming a sprained ankle without having to rest up for several day (and indeed not even desisting from walking over uneven ground at night). I did so by thinking about what I was doing, and by considering every step I was taking when the going got rough.

It's a useful exercise, a useful habit to get into. The conscious brain should be in the driving seat, observing, overseeing the instinctive brain.

All well and good when it comes to the physical aspects of living. But what about the metaphysical? The spiritual?

Can we prevent random harm from befalling us by being mindful of those risks over which we have no control?

I believe we can. 

This is a controversial belief, but it becomes less controversial with each passing year that I survive. There is a reason - but often that reason is not made manifest to us at the time. And there are conditions. Just two. Firstly, one must feel gratitude for surviving each passing day, gratitude for moments of joy; and complacency needs to be recognised as a danger ("because yesterday was good, today's good and tomorrow will also be good" - not necessarily!). Be grateful, be on your guard; above all be mindful.

This time last year:
Choosing the music for your religion

This time two years ago:
Photo round-up of the week

This time three years ago:
Do the laws of nature govern or describe our universe?

This time eight years ago:
A selfless faith


No comments: