Saturday 13 August 2022

Fifty Years with Virginia Plain

Somewhere in Pembrokeshire, south-west Wales, family holiday - hot summer's day, August 1972. I'm 14, and back from three weeks on Polish scout camp. We're in my father's company car (a metallic brown Ford Cortina 1.6 GL) my parents, my brother and me. The radio's on. Radio One. Suddenly - this: piano, wailing synth... sounds familiar - and yet unlike anything I've ever heard...



and my world is changed. Suddenly - a magical world has been created (or maybe recreated?) - the Past and the Future - merged. Fifty years ago today, Roxy Music's first single, Virginia Plain entered the UK charts. Hearing it for the first time, I recognised straight away, the sublime aesthetic. This was not one of those songs that grows on you. The effect was startling. I had to hear that record again! Fortunately, it was on high rotation and would be played over and over again, it would stay in the charts for 12 weeks, peaking at number four.

In a low-fi world of AM radio, the lyrics were never clear - half of them I wouldn't grasp until the advent of the CD - but the soundscape was spot on - the future as imagined in the past - the past as remembered in the future. Glamour, excitement, sophistication - intelligence - art. Stepping way outside the spirit of the age, as only David Bowie could back then. A song as unformulaic as can be - no verse/chorus verse/chorus middle eight verse/chorus  repeat-chorus-to-fade structure here - a song which ends with its title. "Far beyond the pale horizon/Some place near the desert strand, Where my Studebaker takes me/That's where I'll make my stand..." Instantly familiar - and yet... why? The imagery is Hollywood Americana, 1930s to 1950s (referencing Flying Down to Rio, made in 1933, and Last Picture Show, set in 1951). "What's real and make-believe" - indeed. What is real? What is make-believe?

On my return to London, back from the school holidays, a new term, starting the fourth year. I discover that Roxy Music has an album out, called simply, Roxy Music. The single Virginia Plain is not on the LP. A friend has it and tapes it for me - in mono. And that would really open the door to a new perception. Pop and rock had been an important and ever-present part of life since childhood, a shared soundtrack to growing up, but this was something I felt was uniquely personal.

But then looking at that week's charts, I can see that soul music made up one quarter of all the UK hits. And what classic slabs they were too - Al Green's I'm Still In Love With You; Roberta Flack's The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face; the Stylistics' Betcha By Golly Wow; Bill Withers' Lean on Me; Love Unlimited's Walking In The Rain With The One I Love; songs from Michael Jackson, the Supremes, the Four Tops, Bobby Hebb, Donny Hathaway and Roberta Flack, Chairmen of the Board; re-releases from Jackie Wilson and Mary Wells. Music that has stayed with me over the decades.

Which reminds me to remind my readers to tune in, as I do every week, to Yours Sinsoully on West Wilts Radio, live on Fridays (9-11pm UK time, 22:00-00:00 on the Continent), hosted by my classmate from Gunnersbury, MJDJ - two hours of classic soul/funk/R&B, with past shows available to listen to again.


This time three years ago:
Fifty years on, my last kolonia

This time nine years ago:
Grodzisk Mazowiecki's pretty station

This time 10 years ago:
Exorcism outside the President's Palace

This time 11 years ago:
The raging footsoldier - a story about anger

This time 12 years ago:
Graffiti and street art 

2 comments:

Adelaide Dupont said...

And not only Sinsoully, Michael.

There on the West Wilts Radio are the stories of Lynne Benton

[eg: BILLY AND THE QUEEN

and THE CENTURION'S SON]

who writes on AN AWFULLY BIG BLOG ADVENTURE.

And what a moment with VIRGINIA PLAIN

reinforced by 50 years of moments.

On the Listen Again/Play Again page I see a gentleman called Mick.

Is he MJ the DJ?

And also there's the POLYPHONIC LIFE with Chris Samuel.

I believe I have found the Reggae Special which was 1 August 2022:

Yours Sinsouly with Martyn Jansen

How the doors were opened from mono to stereo or the other way around.

I am wondering why about the Studebaker too - it is just a really cool car.

And the strand and the stand.

Last Picture Show - that had something to do with Peter Sellers...

And a song's ochrestration would have to be really good and enduring to last 10 years without clear lyrics.

I find that the way with dialogue.

When you find it is on high rotation and peaking where it peaked...

And the Pembrokeshhire hearing.

Michael Dembinski said...

@ Adelaide

West Wilts Radio's Play Again section seems to be a bit of an uncatalogued mess right now - any MJDJ 'Yours Sinsoully' shows will be great listening.

Mono/stereo - I wrote about my miss-hearings of Roxy Music lyrics back in 2012, the 40th anniversary. Even though I now know all the correct lyrics off by heart, the deepest memories are still from the first, miss-heard, impressions!

Studebaker - Bryan Ferry owned one in his student days!

Last Picture Show - Peter Bogdanovich directed the film, released in 1971, a paean to life in a small Texan town in 1950. Shot in B&W, it clicked with me immediately. Beautiful, moving film (great music too!)