Thursday 17 August 2023

Climate Atonement

Bless me, Gaia, for I have sinned against Planet Earth. For four years (1989-93), I drove a two-litre hot hatch; I have crossed the Atlantic four times in a passenger jet (1978, 1989, 1998, 1999). I have bought and disposed of unnecessary baubles. I have eaten meat and poultry in large amounts. 

Yet by and large, since becoming aware of an impending climate crisis some time around the early 1990s, I have striven to dial back my material consumption. No SUV, no exotic holidays for me. In recent years, I have taken radical steps to reduce my carbon footprint. I don't own a car, I don't fly (jet zero), I have reduced my meat consumption. So compared to most folk of my age group, my climate behaviour has been better than average.

As I write these words, seven pm, the thermometer is still showing 30C outside. That's 86F in old money, a rarity in my childhood summers. I remember 1976 well as being a hot one in the UK - it was the hottest summer in 350 years. But since then, it has been beaten by the UK summers of 2003, 2006 and 2014. When climate records fall, they do so now in rapid succession. There have been killer wildfires this year in the Mediterranean, in Canada, and just now, in Hawaii. And flash floods across Europe, Asia and Africa. People tut-tut, but generally go about their lives unaffected. Climate change is something we cannot ignore. Deniers are dangerous people, peddling false science in an effort to justify their continued consumerist lifestyle. They refuse to alter their behaviour despite the evidence.

This summer, 'Do Less' has been my motto on the działka. Let it grow. Only the most-frequented paths through the garden are kept clear of tall grasses and weeds. Every other plant has been allowed to photosynthesise and attract pollinators unmolested. Spare them the cutter. The pruning will be done between late autumn and late winter (przednówek), completed as the sap starts to rise, before trees come into leaf.

The heat makes me lethargic during the daytime, when temperatures have been reaching 33-34C. Even in the house, with all windows open, it's above 28C. By evening, when it cools down, I can work, exercise, think better. I've been taking siesta-style naps in the afternoon, which allow me to stay up until midnight, by which time I can get everything done. If there are no clouds, I'll go out onto the rear patio and watch the stars for half an hour - catching some shooting stars at this time of year.

Climate atonement means being aware of your impact. Every time I fill up my motorbike (125cc engine!), I ask forgiveness from the planet for my actions. I ride less with each passing year; a few hundred kilometres, locally. Fewer miles, fewer emissions, less crude oil sucked up from within the earth and refined into petroleum spirit. 

We all must become acutely conscious of our behaviour, our lifestyles, our patterns of consumption, and their effects on the environment.

By driving Zuzanna to her horse-riding classes and little Nikodem to his tennis club in a huge SUV, their parents are storing up an uncomfortable future for them. Time to stop this. Walk more. Save water, eat less meat, generate less waste. Most of us are aware of this. Summers make that awareness more acute. Time to change our habits.

Rein back consumption, for the sake of the children, the grandchildren, and the generations of humans that are to follow. It's now just gone eight pm; it's 27C outside and 28C inside.

This time last year:
First month with solar panels on the działka

This time two years ago:
Qualia meditations

This time nine years ago:
Public and private land in Poland

This time ten year:
Two Warsaw sunsets over water

This time 13 years ago:
Farewell to the old footbridge over Puławska

This time 14 years ago:
Let's ban cars with engines over 2.0 litres

This time 16 years ago:
Ul. Kórnicka gets paved over

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If everyone thought about our legacy for future generations
like Mr Dembinski does, then the planet would be in good
hands. Reading the above, some song titles come to mind:

Only So Much Oil in the Ground - Tower of Power
Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology) - Marvin Gaye
The Air That I Breathe - The Hollies
Time is Tight - Booker T & the MGs
It's Gettin' Late - The Beach Boys
It's Now or Never - Elvis Presley
Shake Some Action - The Flamin' Groovies
Do What You Gotta Do - Nina Simone
Tell It Like It Is - Aaron Neville
Tell the Truth - Otis Redding
Hell to the Liars - London Grammar
Don't Be Afraid - Bobby Taylor
Let Your Conscience Be Your Guide - Mary Wells
Billy Cobham & Novecento - Dreamer
Here's to Life - Aga Zaryan

Pozdrowienia from a relatively temperate London - Michal Karski

Michael Dembinski said...

@ Michal Karski

Many thanks for that playlist - a nice mix of the familiar and the new! In the latter category, the numbers from Tower of Power, Otis, Billy Cobham appealed instantly. Slightly less hot here on a Saturday morning in Jakubowizna (a mere 27C)!

Anonymous said...

21c in West London and looking like rain. Have a good weekend and keep looking after the planet!
MK