Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Morning sun

Into the dark (slightly-less than) half of the year, sunlight is at a premium. An early stroll is called for whenever the sun icon is shown in the weather forecast for the hour or two after sunrise. In any case, I wake before dawn; feed the cats, make coffee and off I go. No apologies for posting another picture taken at this spot for the second time this month; it really gets me. I am filled with gratitude for living here and being so close to nature.

The air is clear and fresh, the world feels bright and alive. Though it hasn't rained here for several days, my suede desert boots and thick socks are sodden with the early-morning dew.

Below: in a clearing between orchards and forest, three young female roe deer suddenly become aware of my presence.

Within an instant, they are off. Fortunately, I was prepared with my Nikkor 70-300mm zoom lens and the camera's shutter at the right setting to catch the motion.

On my short evening walk yesterday, I was accompanied by Czester (looking round), Arcturus and Pacyfik following in the rear. Unlike dogs, no leashes are needed. They'll follow me if they want to; if they don't – they won't. Today I was followed into the next-door forest by Céleste, her five kittens, Uncle Scrapper and Ol' Mr. Heaps. 


Left: the second morning walk, down ulica Słoneczna towards Chynów. Look down the road. As I walked west, I wish this road ran for twenty miles, a hundred. To walk and walk and walk. And stop for lunch and an ale before catching a train home.

Below: Chytown Central. The golden years. Cherish them while they're here. These will be said to have been the best of times. Peace, rising prosperity and good governance. It's almost midday; morning will very soon be over.

Below: Is this Taos, New Mexico? Are we on the the edge of the desert? No, this is ulica Główna, Chynów. Bungalow, ranch-style under a south-western sky. Beautiful.

Below: on the way from the orchard, an apple train of four wagons, each bearing three szkryniopalety, (palletised crates), each with a capacity of 300kg of apples. With the current prices as they are, at the lower end of the spectrum, say, 2zł per kilo wholesale, this lot represents at least 7,000 zł (around £1,400) of table apples. Retail – two-and-half times that.

Below: the vibe is Americana. The DK50 Chynów-Drwalew bypass to the left, the service/access road to the right. Passing under the main road is the Warsaw-Radom railway line.


Turning in and headed for home. A train is due. And indeed, here it its, on time, next stop Chynów, final stejszyn, Radom Główny. This is a Stadler FLIRT (Fast Light Innovative Regional Train), built in Siedlce. As a passenger, I prefer the NEWAG Impuls (also Polish-built); the button to open the door reacts instantly, sparing that moment when you worry if it's working or not on the FLIRT. 


Jakubowizna at its most sublime. The trees, the space, the sky, the light. A blissful prospect. A little bit further down the lane, and I'll be home to lunch.


As I write, Hipek is fast asleep in the cat tower, snoring the sweetest little snore... 

Bonus photo snapped on Sunday: a PZL M-18B Dromader water-bomber belonging the Poland's state forestry organisation, Lasy Państwowe.



This time three years ago:
By the light of the silvery moon

This time 14 years ago:
Łódź, city of culture

No comments: