Friday 19 September 2008

He stopped the sun and moved the earth

The charm of the Jagiellonian University's Collegium Novum, setting for conference that I attended today. Arriving in good time before the event starts, I get a chance to admire the Aula. Ah now! What's this? (below). Don't I know this from somewhere?

If you're Polish, you'll be extremely familiar with the above image. This is Mikołaj Kopernik by Jan Matejko. The original is in this room (top right). I photographed it using my wonderful Nikkor 18-200mm lens, at 60mm, wide open (f5), at three-quarters of a second exposure, with my arms bracing the lens on the back of a chair, 800 ISO, noise reduction on. The Vibration Reduction does its bit - but notice the pincushion distortion. The image is untweaked in Photoshop to give you an idea of colour rendition. No flash - a mixture of natural daylight and tungsten lighting.

1 comment:

Gabriela said...

I loved the title of this post! Wonderful pictures... you must have some camera.
All the best.