Saturday 22 November 2008

First snow, winter 2008-09

It snowed overnight, for the first time this year. As the Polish saying goes, 'first snow is shy snow', so I doubt if this lot will be hanging around for long. Above: view from my bedroom early this morning.

While in London, I acquired the use of an 80-400mm Nikkor lens for evaluation purposes (though something tells me I'll be parting with cash for it!). For the purposes of aviation and wildlife photography. Full test to come, but here are some early snaps. Below: Filling the frame at 400mm (600mm equivalent on my DX format Nikon D80) is LOT's Boeing 767-300ER (SP-LPB) coming in to land at Okęcie through a flurry of snow.

Below: Another shot from the balcony - houses on ul. Sarabandy in the weak late autumn sunlight, snow on the rooftops. Houses I'd not noticed before through shorter lenses! This lens has twice the focal length at maximum telephoto of my usual 18-200mm zoom.

What will this winter be like (mirrors thought: what will the economic downturn be like)? Short and mild? Long and harsh? Short but harsh? Long but mild?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice shots Michael. I see you have the same gear disease as me!