Thursday 15 November 2007

Airport zoning to halt development in Jeziorki?

I took a look at the City of Warsaw's website to find a street on its excellent map service (some plug-in or other may be needed to make it work on your computer). To my surprise, I found this splash of colour on the south-west corner of the city (below):

What does this mean? Like, that purple patch it... it... includes... us! The City Fathers have designs on our house! Time to zoom in... There's Okecie airport... the runways, the approaches...

Zooooom right in again... as far as it goes (the city map is based on Google Earth technology)... Those purple and red zones on the map above - do they mean us?

They do indeed! That's our house - just inside the red zone (everything on the left's in the purple zone, but I've removed the colour code for the sake of clarity). Our house - centre of pic, large triangular plot - is within the 'Zone 'M' - zone of limited residential development'. NIMBYs* of Trombity say 'hurrah!' OK, so we have to put up with planes landing overhead, but at least this zoning plan suggests that we're not going to become a built-up area! The purple zone is the 'area of limited utilisation' - lots of problems with planning permission, I suspect. This does mean that the fields behind our house are likely to remain fields. "Grass triumphs. And I must say, I'm rather glad."

(To read more about NIMBYs and NIMBYism, click here.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As you know, in Poland these things tend to be "for guidance purposes only" but I wish you luck in staying green! :)