Wednesday 17 December 2008

This is not Mazowsze. No?

This photo, taken in the early 1980s, is the nearest you'll get to the flatness of Mazovia in the UK. This is Cambridgeshire, near Ramsey. Like Mazowsze, I get an instant sense of recognition here. Indeed this is the one and only part of the UK where I'd catch that atmosphere or klimat. This is not the American Midwest, nor the Texas Panhandle, but feels like it; the Fens. Eerie horizon-to-horizon flatness, straight roads, telegraph poles converging into infinity, a vast sky. Like America, but unlike Mazowsze, the fields are big. Time to don my field jacket, shoulder my army-surplus M1 carbine, and go hunting jackrabbit in the scrub. On the left is my first car, EYE 522 J, a Morris Minor van. Photo taken with a Leica M2, 35mm f2 Summicron lens. The similarity with Mazowsze is evident in the photo below. This ul. Raszyńska looking from Zgorzała towards Nowy Podolszyn.
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear Dick Cheney will be looking for hunting buddies soon.

Anonymous said...

In short...really nice comparison photos...i like it! =)