Tuesday 5 April 2011

Królikarnia - from Platan Park to Powiśle

Only yesterday was I introduced to the Królikarnia ('Rabbit House'); surprising given that it's on my cycle route from Platan Park to Powiśle; I must have passed hundreds of times yet never popped in. So I came by again today on my regular way by bike from Platan Park to my office in Powiśle. Królikarnia (the building) reminds me a bit of Chiswick House, well-known to me from younger days in London. Below: the front of the building. In all honesty, I was subconsciously expecting something more akin to a rabbit hutch.
Below: the back of the building, looking out on the Vistula escarpment.
Below: the escarpment itself; part parkland, part waste-ground. Equally interesting to explore on foot and by bike. Here in Mokotów, it slopes away from ul. Puławska and the Warszawianka sports complex, down to ul. Piaseczyńska and below it the allotment gardens and their summer houses (działki).
The gardens surrounding the Królikarnia itself are dedicated to Polish sculptor Xawery Dunikowski.

Left:
his sculpture The Soul Escaping the Body (1918). There are many sculptures on display; this one probably the most striking. Królikarnia is certainly worth a visit on a warm spring day (even if it means taking time off work).
Described as the King's 'high-class brothel', the 'Rabbit Hutch' predated the bunny-girls of Hugh Hefner's Playboy Clubs by over a century and half.
This time three years ago:
Happy 85th, Dziadzio Bohdan

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the photos of Królikarnia. This second one (the back of the building) is perfect!