Wednesday 27 November 2013

Regent's Canal

In London for a day, with two hours of the afternoon to myself between the end of the conference I'd chaired and the journey back to Luton Airport, I took a stroll through Regent's Park. Passing the place where two scenes of Withnail and I were filmed (the wolves in London Zoo have been replaced by llamas), I made my way to the Regent's Canal, in search of some 19th C. brickwork. I was not to be disappointed.

Residential narrowboats; Prince Albert Rd in the distance, nice Victorian wall to the right

Camden Lock, 1820. At the other end a signpost reads "Liverpool 302 miles"

This boat is charmingly called the Frog and Roastbeef

Looking along the towpath towards Regent's Park Rd, Primrose Hill school beyond the bridge

Bridge carrying Oval Rd over the canal; faux castle dates back to 1977

Towpath bridge crosses inlet to former gin warehouse, built in 1894.

This time two years ago:
An end to the entitlement way of thinking

This time last year:
West Ealing - drab and sad suburb

This time two years ago:
To Poznań by train

This time four years ago:
Late autumn drive-time

No comments: