Wednesday 20 November 2019

Last word

When I looked at my father's desk the day after he died, I came upon a single yellow Post-It note. It was stuck to the desk between his computer keyboard and monitor. Here it is:


This referred to a bottle of wine I'd bought him from Lidl ten days earlier, one that I'd encountered in Poland this summer (and bought eight bottles of). It's clear that it appealed to him as much as it to me.


It looks like he was trying to recall the name of the wine, and did well trying (except he got 'Pouceta rather than 'Peuceta' for the producer and 'Poglio' rather than 'Puglia' for the region). Very good score for memory for a 96 year old! This would have been the last wine he drank (finishing the last third of the bottle with his carer Violetta just a few days before he died); it stuck in his memory, and there it is - if Citizen Kane's last word was 'Rosebud', my father's last written word was 'Primitivo'.

Nice. An Italian wine, bought from a German shop with branches in Britain and Poland.

UPDATE:
I found another Post-It note on my father's desk (behind the monitor). It bore just two words:

'QUANTUM SUPREMACY'.

Mind-blowing. To the very end of his life, my father displayed curiosity. He wanted to know more about the latest advances in quantum computing. I posit that it will have been this unquenchable thirst for knowledge that will have propelled his consciousness into another incarnation.

This time two years ago:
Kolej Grójecka

This time four years ago:
PIS, thinking wishfully about the village

This time six years ago:
An unseasonably warm autumn in Warsaw

This time seven years ago:
Shedding light on an unused road

This time eight years ago:
S2-S79 Elka from the air 

This time nine years ago:
Fish and chips in Warsaw

This time ten years ago:
Spirit of place - anomalous familiarity moments 

3 comments:

AndrzejK said...

And a very good wine it is indeed. Lidl show time and time again how the retailers are taking us for a ride with price pointing. Just because something is good does not mean it has to be expensive.

I am sure your father enjoyed te wine, what a way to go...……..

Anonymous said...

A very moving blog entry and insightful reflection; poignant and somehow uplifting and life enhancing. A Post-It note to treasure. I remember you mentioned this wine in your Jeziorki Reeked entry, as well.

All praise to eternal life and memory and the bounty of the Vine.

Jonathan W

Ian said...

A note to treasure and good to know that your father enjoyed a good glass of wine.