Friday 18 November 2022

The Algorithm of Fate

At half past seven on the morning of Thursday 27 October, I was making breakfast ahead of a scheduled online appearance on TVP World to talk about the UK's new prime minister when the electricity went. No computer, no internet. After ten minutes I could tell that this wasn't going to be a short power cut, so I called the producer to say that sadly I couldn't join the show. Such is life. 

Now, since TVP World (the English-language service of the Polish state broadcaster) launched a year ago, I've been appearing frequently, usually talking about UK-related topics, but now increasingly often about broader world events. Typically, I appear once every five or six days. However, since the power cut and my last-minute cancellation, there was a gap of 16 days before my next invitation. Coincidence or algorithm?

Eighty percent of success is just turning up, observed Woody Allen. One reason why I think I get invited on frequently is that I'm usually available (sometimes I'm just going to be on a train or otherwise away from my laptop when they want me on, but that's rare). That, plus I'm a seasoned media interviewee.

Anyway - how do I explain the hiatus between requests? "That Dembinski is unreliable. He's out in the sticks and his power-supply is dodgy. Look for someone else." Or is this automated? Doubt it. Just the way it is? Coincidence? I'm now back on track, having appeared this morning and five days ago.

Chance throws difficult things at us from time to time. Can we forestall that, or preclude that by thinking about those possibilities? I've pondered the concept of the fact that we are constantly on the Edge of Chaos; Putin's invasion of Ukraine and the pandemic are two such macro-scale chaos events that I have in mind. 

In  the long term - can we forestall, preclude or stave off sudden extinction events such as an asteroid strike, a mega-volcano or mutually assured destruction in an all-out nuclear war? 

If you find yourself consciously in a state of elation - catch yourself and think - life's great right now, but what chaos awaits - as I open the front door and step back into the house after a long day-time walk? As  I open my in-box? 

Meditative thinking, not so much focusing, but being in among with the flow of goodness, can help - but I can't empirically prove it. Of course I can't. I have no data, other than gut instinct. You may say this is mere cognitive bias. I will, however, be more certain of this with age; should I reach my 100th birthday, I will be able to say - "yes, to an extent, you can influence the algorithm of fate". Does it make sense to try and articulate my more speculative intuitions? Or should I keep them to myself and communicate them telepathically?

This time last year:
Non-local consciousness - science and spirituality

This time two years ago:
Fenced in at last

This time five years ago:
Poznań's Old Market

This time six years ago:
Brexit, Trump and negative emotions

This time 11 years ago:
Premier Tusk's second exposé

This time 12 years ago:
Into Poland's former Heart of Darkness

This time 13 years ago:
Commuter schadenfreude

No comments: