Friday 11 October 2024

A little bit more like autumn

I asked on Tuesday whether that (8 October) would be the last hot day of the year – it wasn't. After a rainy Wednesday, yesterday (Thursday), saw my external digital thermometer record a high of 23.7°C at quarter past two in the afternoon sunshine. Today was also sunny, but the highest temperature was a mere 14°C, a big difference. So I set off wearing two layers, the outer being a mid-weight jacket. A cool wind from the north-west blew in my face on the outward leg of my walk. At no time did I feel overdressed or in need of removing my jacket. 

Autumnal – but that beautiful autumn, starting to turn gold. Mushrooms – and mushroom pickers – are noticeable in the forests (though I can see only toadstools). Below: a recently ploughed field on the south-eastern edge of Jakubowizna. The tree on the left shows evidence of early leaf-shedding.


Below: entering Widok, where, according the local Facebook page, one of the two shops here will be reopening under new management. It could do with improvement, in particular a move toward self-service and a wider selection of product. Widok's other small shop serves great locally sources smoked meats.


Below: a new(-ish) wooden home built in the old style, Widok.


Below: a roadside crucifix by a small pond in Widok near the junction for Węszelówka.


Below: a familiar view on the way back home, taken from the top of a heap of earth by the side of the track from Adamów Rososki to Machcin II.

Below: autumn's emblem. The other one I'm not yet seeing – babie lato – (or spider ballooning). 

Below: again, a familiar view; the track back to Jakubowizna dives into the trees as autumn starts painting its colours on the leaves.


Back home with 13,000 paces on the clock, a walk of just under two hours. A similar day tomorrow – sunshine forecast for the whole day, maximum temperature 14°C, so I should make the most of it.

This is ideal weather for tourism; not too hot, dry – and the schools and universities are back.

This time three years ago:
Sublime farewell to sunny summer days
[I had to start heating the house then; not so this year or last.]

No comments: