Sunday, 23 August 2026

Morning ramble through anemoia

The forecast promised clear skies from sunrise until around 10 am, after which time clouds will start streaming in from the west. So last night I went to bed early. This morning I woke up at half past five, fed the cats, ate breakfast and set off before seven. First port of call would be the abandoned plum orchards of Machcin II, to top up my breakfast. The ground was still soaked with dew when I arrived, an Eden-like atmosphere, the sun streaming in  through the trees. Having eaten my fill of ripe plums and prune-plums (węgierki) off the trees, I carried on towards Grobice.


Wave after wave of exomnesia moments; a sense of longing for a time and places from before my birth that are so familiar to me, yet in this life I have experienced them not.
 

The bittersweet tang of losing something intangible yet beautiful, that I have felt since childhood. Something close, personal, familiar, integral with my identity – yet I can't grasp it.


For a moment, the sight of a new pavement being built alongside ulica Zamkowa in Grobice takes my mind off anomalous reminiscences. This infrastructural investment is much needed, good to see work in progress.


Below: but then the sight of this rural suburbia whisks me right off again...


Across the DK50 approaching Sułkowice. That klimat is there; intense.


As the morning ticks away, the sky starts filling with clouds. Below: looking towards the railway line in Sułkowice, and beyond it, the police dog-training school.


Back to Chynów and Jakubowizna by following the railway line. That atmosphere remains with me. Drifting in and out of a hypnagogic dreamworld in which details like time and geography lose all relevance.


Below: from the same spot, looking the other way, the day before yesterday, just after sunset.


This time five years ago:
Age and Ego: Part I

This time six years ago:
Getting There


No comments: