Tuesday 6 January 2009

Winter in its finery

This is what it's all about. First thing this morning and -19C on the car thermometer. No wind at all. Dry air, clear sky. If this be winter, may every day be like this through to mid-March! Right: The end of ul. Trombity. Trees on the footpath between ul. Kórnicka and the railway track. To think we're less than eight miles from the very centre of Warsaw!

The trees just across the road from us. Shortly after sunrise this morning. I hope this weather lasts until the weekend - the need to photograph such beauty is great.

The gas bill arrives next month.







This time last year:
Snow fences keep trains running

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your pictures. Simple composition but they work really well. I used to have a polariser for my old camera lens, but have not had one since I bought my 20D. I'd forgotten how much difference one makes. Very nice.

And can I also say that I'm highly impressed that you manage to capture so many aircraft. The right place at the right time? Or just patience?

Michael Dembinski said...

"Simple composition?" Took me hours I tell you! Aircraft? We live under the flightpath to Okęcie, so most of what lands there flies overhead. Noisy, but then Jeziorki remains a relatively low-density suburb.

Anonymous said...

When I say "simple", I meant uncluttered. Misuse of the word, sorry.

I used to live next to RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire - more military aircraft, but I never minded the noise. AWACS and Nimrod's mainly, but near airshow time, we got all sorts from the B-1B to the F-117 Stealth. It's always been an interest of mine.

Michael Dembinski said...

Military flights into Okęcie are almost entirely transports - USAF
C17 Globemaster being the most exotic. We've been visited a handful of times by Polish F-16s (I've only snapped them once, with an inadequately short lens).

Anonymous said...

Your first photograph that borders paragraph one is a total delight. Its capture of the miriad atomic particles of light make it an amazing study - a veritable painting uniting landscape with sky through the union of light and matter. It catapulted me back to childhood and long walks in the English countryside before Sunday lunch, listening to the crying brittle ice as it cracked in the frozen rutted cart tracks. A visionary photograph - the mesh of branches lifting up their matter to the great architect in thanks for the benison of a winter only just begun. The ice cries, the embers in the fire cry and our memories and our past experiences mingle about us like old friends.

Frater Talboticus III