Tuesday 30 November 2010

Old Town in first snow

On my way to a breakfast meeting at the Hotel Bristol this morning I made an early start so that I could snap some snaps of the Old Town in a mantle of first snow.
 
Above: ul. Freta, connecting the Old Town with the New Town. It's 8am and the place is nearly empty. Below: ul. Mostowa leading down to ul. Boleść and the Stara Prochownia (Old Gunpowder Store, now a theatre). Not a street for racing down!
 
Left: the steps leading down to the Trasa W-Z (the East-West Road that leads from the Trasa Armii Krajowej all the way to the Trasa Zmieniona). Below: Through the Barbakan gates and into the Old Town proper. In the Market Place a big effort is going on to clear the footpaths so that tourists can get around.

 
I'm wearing my M-65 field jacket for the second day. By late-March I will be heartily sick of wearing it day in, day out, but it is supremely practical and comfortable with its quilted lining; tried and tested in the most adverse of winter weather conditions.

 
Below: I reach my destination with 20 minutes to spare. This photo of snow piled up outside the Hotel Bristol (right) gives you some idea of how heavy was yesterday's snowfall. To get such massive heaps of snow last winter, we had to wait until February.

 
Below: Back to Powiśle and our office. A little game for my readers, the first of this winter - 'Guess the Car'. What's the make of the vehicle shrouded by a heavy blanket of snow? (Answers in late-March 2011.)

 

12 comments:

Paddy said...

Toyota Corolla? Can you recommend any military surplus shops where one might be able to find such a garment? I am on the hunt for an effective winter coat. Thanks, Paddy.

Anonymous said...

Great Pierogarnia on Freta st.
Syrenka car, no?

Michael Dembinski said...

Paddy - there's a scouts' shop on the corner of Al. KEN and ul. Płaskowickiej (in the small shopping mall, opposite KEN from the bazaar).

NOT a Corolla.

Anon - NOT a Syrenka either :-)

Pierogarnia on ul. Freta - do they do spinach pierogi?

Paddy said...

Hmm this car puzzle will really bug me now. It's a BMW isn't it? M5?

I will check out this scout shop tomorrow, I was up that way looking for boots (and finally bought some boots in that shopping centre) but didn't see the scout shop before.

Anonymous said...

Not a Syrenka?! A Fiat then.
Spinach and cheese pierogis for sure. But we had meat pierogis and chocolate crepes for me. Yum!

Michael Dembinski said...

Anon - Not a Fiat either :-)
Grzaniec would go down well with the pierogi and naleśniki at this time of year...

Paddy - you have the correct answer! BMW M5 it is. The shop is Składnica Harcerska, al. KEN 56. It sells model kits as well as outdoor clothing.

Paddy said...

Do I win the car?!!

Anonymous said...

Wine Grzaniec in Zakopane during winter school break brings some old memories, like your snow covered Warsaw.
When Paddy finally gets outfitted in snow gear, the both of you should make a BIG snowman.

Paddy said...

I don't like to make false idols like snowmen unless I absolutely have to.

Anonymous said...

I dare you to make one, let’s see, in front of the Palace of Culture, facing Junior/Sawa/Sezam on ul. Marszalkowska. But will you need a building permit? What if the Security shows up, what kind of excuse will you give them? Daring challenge, bloggers Christmas fun party, charity event?

Michael Dembinski said...

How about a giant snow Jesus? Surely Warsaw can make a bigger one than Świebodzin?

Anonymous said...

You have that much snow?!!!