Monday 15 March 2010

Winter's Return


What gorgeousness met my eyes as I awoke this morning! Five inches of fresh snow and a sharp frost overnight (-5.3C) and clear skies. Above: View from my bedroom window. Right: view from the kitchen. Below: The drive, before the cars came out. There was so much snow, the front gate wouldn't open and Eddie had to dig. No one was expecting that winter would return so late and in such sparkling form.


Left: Moni busying herself with the shovel. No hat, no gloves. The snow was falling heavily yesterday evening; I don't think anyone had expected so much of it. This evening, when I was shovelling our drive, I noticed that the snow was still white - none of the grey slush that falls off the bottom of cars. Could it be that the city has run out of salt?

3 comments:

Marcin said...

Howdy Michael,

I do think, that you wrongly named this topic. This should be entitled: "The Winter Strickes Back". More than less this might render a sense of a today's horror. 8-|

Rgds.

Michael Dembinski said...

Horror? For the pitiable motorists stuck in the traffic jam on Kórnicka this morning - what were they thinking? Walking I was proceding much quicker than that pathetic column of four-wheel drives going nowhere fast.

adthelad said...

This morning was so pristenely beautiful it just left me speechless. Not too cold either. We had 8 inches of snow cover and it took me a good while to clear the drive but I was so happy I could have done the whole street (despite my bad back). I can't remember when we last had such a sparkling Christmas wonderland. Pure magic!