Monday 5 February 2024

Another Dream of the Future

And a pleasant dream it was too... I am addressing a small class of students and am turning to leave. I make my farewells, and have a senior moment. To one, a chap in his early 20s of Middle-Eastern appearance, I say: "See you next Thursday." He says, "We have a lesson next Thursday, but we also have one tomorrow too – tomorrow's Thursday, remember?" And I there I was thinking that today was Thursday! Still, I am 85.  The small lecture room looks out over Warka and the water-meadows of the Pilica beyond; this is the 20-story building I dreamt of last week. (Incidentally, I teach English and Life.)

I go up to grab a coffee. A spiral staircase takes me up to the top floors. Young waiters and waitresses (to me, everybody's young!) are making coffees; I look around. The décor is wood-finished, light and airy; the windows are curved, floor to ceiling, the view is stunning. To the north I can see a similar tower being completed in Chynów, 12km away. I moved here rather than wait for its completion because I wanted the view; looking south-east I can see the confluence of the Pilica and Vistula rivers, and the forests stretching south towards Radom, the railway line running north towards Warsaw's urban sprawl as it spills out beyond Czachówek.

The building in which I live and work (writing, teaching) was designed by Skip Wrenford (the name came through clear in my dream!). The highest building by far (at 65 metres) in Warka gmina (municipality), it has an oval footprint, with a glass façade all the way up and all the way round, clad in photovoltaic Perovskite. Aerodynamic, with the pointy end of the ellipse aligned north-west toward the prevailing wind, the tower is  Twenty floors with communal coffee/dining area on the top two, lecture halls, hotel rooms, office space, residential accommodation, and nearer street level, restaurants and shopping. Most of the shops offer used/recycled products, clothes, tools etc.

It's 2043, and Poland is a happy place, in a continent – in a world – that is far less troubled than it had been. My precognitive dream the other night suggested that I'd be living here for 18 years, dying at the age of 103 – that is, in 2060.

Now here's the thing. Before dropping off to sleep, I consciously willed myself to have an interesting dream. I wanted a memorable dream – and I got it.

This time nine years ago:
Białystok fails to impress

This time ten years ago:
Sadness at the death of Tadeusz Mosz

This time 11 years ago:
Interpreting vs. translating vs. explaining

This time 12 years ago:
More than just an Iluzjon

This time 13 years ago:
Oldschool photochallenge

This time 14 years ago:
Warsaw's wonderful nooks and crannies

This time 16 years ago:
Viaduct to the airport at ul. Poleczki almost ready

No comments: