Sunday 31 March 2024

Triumph: Easter Sunday 2024

Today I celebrate. As every year, the view from my window has changed radically from Ash Wednesday (typically overcast, sleet falling from leaden clouds, the vegetation dead) to Easter Sunday (typically warm, trees coming slowly into leaf). This year, the seasons have changed sooner than usual, despite an early Easter. Right now it's 26C outside, the windows and door are open (it's a mere 22C inside), green shoots, butterflies and bees have emerged to enjoy the sunlight.

Spring has triumphed over winter; a new phase begins. Birds are busy building nests; the garden is full of birdsong. Blossoms, leaves – then fruit, vegetables. Already, I have noticed the first shoots of sorrel emerging from the ground; within a week or so, there should be leaves for salads, stews and soups.

Lent is over; so meat is back on the diet, although I can't say I miss it that much (OK, for pure pleasure, a nice fillet steak takes a lot of beating, but for day-to-day menus there's no need). I broke with tradition by not having a midnight beer and whisky; those can wait until tomorrow. Girth round the middle is 94.2cm (down from 101.6cm in January 2014 when I began logging my exercise and alcohol intake)

And so, that was my 33rd Lent in my 66th year, and I find myself in good physical and mental health and spiritually uplifted, for which I offer up gratitude to the Cosmic Purpose. No room for complacency, for taking blessing for granted. A milestone in the eternal journey from Zero to One. Still much to grasp, to understand, to ponder.

It is time to celebrate a work in progress, for triumph will not come until the end of times.

Triumph of good over evil

– Of life over death

– Of emergence over entropy

– Of complexity over chaos

– Of health over illness

– Of wisdom over ignorance

– Of friendship over enmity

– Of peace over war

– Of fairness over injustice

– Of calm over anger

Best wishes to all my readers. A good time for Handel's Messiah, performed here by the John Alldis Choir with the London Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Karl Richter. Our family favourite version.



Some contrasting Easter Sundays from years gone by.

Easter Sunday 2019
In Ealing, enjoying 24C on 21 April

Easter Sunday 2013
(It used to snow on Easter Sunday – that year, it also fell on 31 March)

Easter Sunday 2008
(Snow on Easter Sunday – in England! On 23 March that year. Very early)



No comments: