Sunday 19 April 2009

Today's mystery bird

Spotted in a field between Mysiadło and Zgorzała. From a distance, I thought it was a bird of prey (drapieżnik), given the large wingspan. Looking at the photos, I can see the head and beak are wrong for family Falconidae. I really can't tell! I cannot begin the think where to look for it in my Observer's Book of British Birds... Dark upper surfaces, white beneath, white cheeks and eyebrows, reddish-brown just ahead of the tail. Call was a characteristic oo-eep! oo-eeeep! Can anyone enlighten me?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks like a lapwing (czajka)... Vanellus vanellus...

Michael Dembinski said...

Thanks Rysiek - p.170, Lapwing indeed. This explains the funny thing sticking out of the top of its head in the one (very long distance) shot I had of it on the ground - its 'fine long crest'.

Yet another species identified!

The Polish name 'czajka' is misleading, pronounced exactly like the Russian 'chaika' or seagull...