Saturday 10 July 2010

Perfect weather in Dobra

It gets no better. Perfect blue skies with just a few wisps of cloud to add variety; dry air, not too hot (low 20s). Eddie's staying back in our guest house helping out in the kitchen, as his throat's not cleared up properly, so I set off alone on my first mountain walk, once again up Łopień (peak at 955m above sea level). Walking alone has the benefit that there's no one to criticise your navigational errors! I've been up Łopień six or seven times, every time I get confused on the way down. Despite the marked szlaki turystyczne (tourist footpaths/cyclepaths), I'm convinced I'm coming down towards Jurków, I end up on the wrong side of Dobra, a full 180 degrees of error.

Above: I'm convinced that I'm coming down into Jurków, with the peaks of Jasień to my left and Ćwilin just out of sight to my right. Wrong. The hill to my left is Śnieżnica, and I'm coming down into the eastern end of Dobra, a full four km from where I thought I was.

The weather is set fair for the entire weekend, so I will aim to conquer some more hills. Today - Mogielica, which I've never climbed before.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photos, please.

Andrew in Calif.

Michael Dembinski said...

Forgot I have no software to process NEF (RAW) format digital photos. So .jpgs will be shot from now on.

KM said...

There is software for linux that will do it if you work in that environment. I'll spare you the evangelizing but . . . http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=392502.

The .jpgs look great though!

Best,

K