Wednesday 4 May 2011

Just for the record...

Not pictures of great artistic merit, but just to record the fact that on Wednesday, 4 May 2011, there was a dusting of snow on the ground; the air temperature recorded in the meteorology department of Warsaw Polytechnic was +0.6C.

Overnight the clouds scudded by, the sky cleared and the previous evening's snow was preserved by the ground frost. I got back on my bike and cycled to work, spattered with mud (today I wore waterproof over-trousers).

I'm worried about the effect this unseasonable cold will have on crops and on the subsequent effect on food prices, which in any case have been rising very quickly. Nature is fragile at this time of year, tender green shoots can have the life frozen out of them. I pray for warmth.

This time four years ago:
This is not America, no?

No comments: