Tuesday 2 April 2019

Can't find that peace of mind...


Lent 2019: Day 28

Brexit is obsessing me - there's so much riding on this, I have so much to lose, particularly in the event of the UK crashing out of the EU without a deal, that I find it really hard to focus on spiritual matters. I have been wanting to write about human consciousness, memory, the quantum forces at work in our brains, the interface between physics and biology and the supernatural - and whenever I sit down to write, or even think about these matters, I am sidetracked by the endless shitshow that is Brexit. Scouring the internet I'm looking at how those petitions are going, how the pound is faring, the latest news from Parliament from the BBC; following the debates on Twitter - it is morbidly distracting.

What will the outcome be? It remains uncertain after two years, nine months and 12 days. The stakes are high, my pulse quickens and blood pressure rises whenever my mind strays (as it often does) to whether or not - and if so - in what way, the UK will leave the world's most prosperous trading bloc.

At this time of year, I wish my thoughts to rise up to a higher plane, to consider the Eternal and Infinite; they are, however, constantly dragged down to more mundane thoughts about the value of my pension and my savings, care for my father, ease of travel between Poland and the UK and the ultimate fate of the land where I was born - for I don't see the United Kingdom remaining united in the event of a hard Brexit.

If you've been expecting more elevated thoughts from this blog in the run-up to Easter, my apologies.

The physical aspects of Lent are going well - exercises, walking, eschewing meat, alcohol etc. And the weather at this time of year - blue skies, nature about to explode into life - favours contemplation of the numinous. But I can't get my mind on message here. The awfulness of what could happen is overwhelming me.

This time last year:
On Learning and Living

This time three years ago:
Goats and hares

This time four years ago:
Białystok the Dull

This time 11 years ago:
Crushed velvet dusk in my City of Dreams

This time 12 years ago:
My second Jeziorki blog post, also from this day

1 comment:

Ian said...

Unfortunately it has such a huge impact on our lives it is impossible not to obsess about it. The most divisive thing to happen in my lifetime. I, like you, believe that however the UK leaves the EU, it will be one of the last things the UK ever does. Tragic.