Sunday 7 April 2019

Thanks for the memory - morning flashback

Across Puławska, beyond the giant Selgros cash and carry, I espied a quartet of trucks. Awaiting unloading? Don't know. They there stood gleaming in the morning sunshine, and released within me a flashback to childhood - it came there instantly - a diecast Matchbox toy truck that I had in the mid-1960s, an American tractor-and-double-trailer combo. Long gone, the last part left was the four-wheel bogie linking the two trailers (I believe the children still played with that in the mid-1990s).





Right now there are two of these on eBay, mint and boxed; one for $127 (in Australia) and one for $250 (in the US), plus postage. I have no desire to actually spend such money on old toys, mainly because I know that owning one will not bring back the precise qualia of experience back in the same way as merely thinking about it, savouring the memory.

This time three years ago:
In which I learn to speak

This time four years ago:
Sunshine and snow, Łazienki Park

This time five years ago:
Shopping habits in the wake of Lidl's opening 

This time six years ago:
In vino veritas

This time seven years ago:
Are we getting more intelligent?

This time eight years ago:
Lenten recipe No. 6

This time nine years ago:
Coal trains, Konstancin-Jeziorna

This time ten years ago:
Jeziorki from the air

No comments: