Wednesday 20 July 2011

The heavens opened

Nawalnica (nuh vow NEE tsa); a squall, a downburst, a gale; a tremendous opening up of the skies; fierce winds accompanied by torrential rains. The build-up was rapid with the sky darkening against an evening sun. This was storm-front Otto approaching. Temperatures fell by 5C in as many minutes as the heavens opened. The south-west of Warsaw caught the worst of it. The centre was all right; heavy rain, but no hold-ups.

Getting home this evening was problematic; a 20 minute bus journey took 1 hour and 20 minutes. The reason: Dolinka Służewiecka was under water. When my bus finally reached the deepest parts, it felt like a river-boat cruise rather than a ride down one of Warsaw's main arterial roads. Compare the shot (below) of a car wash on Dolinka with this pic taken in more typical conditions.

Info (in Polish) about today's storm here. Okęcie airport was closed for 45 minutes, several tram lines were cut, but the Metro kept on running. Returning home this evening, I found the street lights were out, but electricity had been restored to our estate.

2 comments:

adthelad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
adthelad said...

Here in Konstancin the storm started around 5.30 p.m. just as I was setting off on my bicycle to Piaseczno. Absolutely magic - I was completely soaked. Some five minutes later when I reached Chylice the main road was a river, the bridge on Chyliczkowska another 5 mins futher on, had a fallen tree on it stopping all traffic except me :) Warm rain in buckets. A monsoon of a downpour. Mega exhilarating. I was smiling all over my face. On the way back 1.5 hrs later, with the rain much, much reduced though steady, I found the tree gone, and the river on ul. Starochyliczkowska was over my kees at the deepest point, with drainage covers billowing forth, requiring me to stand up on my pedals in bottom gear just to get enough force to get me through. I got home, tired, wet and very, very happy:)

However, pity the poor people who have just had the river Jeziorka reach it's highest point in decades, flooding many a działka and basement, only to have insult added to injury.
Power was out from the moment I left untill 3.30 p.m. this afternoon. Phew.