- The building of the airport - the entire investment - cost 350m złotys. The refurbishment of Warsaw Okęcie's first terminal (the maroony-purple one) will cost 380m zlotys, to put it into perspective.
- There's no radar at Modlin. The airport will use the radar at Okęcie.
- Only two types of aircraft will initially use the airport - the Boeing 737 and the Airbus A320.
- Birds are scared off by recorded avian distress calls played through speakers around the airport's perimeter, occasional explosions, and a falconer with his bird of prey - said to be the most effective.
- The Marshal of Mazowieckie province, Adam Struzik, is keen on extending the rail spur that will serve the airport terminal on to Płock - his home town, 70km to the west.
- Local residents might complain about the fact that the airport's in use 24/7, but modern jet airliners make much less noise than the Soviet-era military jets that roared in and out of Modlin until 2000.
- The terminal building is not equipped with air-conditioning. Which will not make it a comfortable place to spend two hours before your flight, but is in keeping with the low-cost travel philosophy.
Sunday, 8 July 2012
More about Modlin
Some more facts from yesterday's visit, from the Pani Edyta, the tour guide.