Wednesday 25 July 2012

We do like to be beside the seaside

When the sun shines on the Llyn Peninsula, it is heavenly. Warmth (though never too hot by the water's edge) and - peaceful. We're back at Porth Neigwl (Hell's Mouth - which it can be, though not today). Just look at how quiet the beach is, and what a broad expanse of sand. The tide is running out; the sandy stretch is getting wider and wider. Below: looking east.


Below: looking westward - to prove that whichever way you look, the beach is looking pretty empty for the holiday season. We are near the southernmost point of the peninsula; the further away from the towns, the wilder it gets. Abersoch - a popular holiday destination with the yachting community, is only some four miles away, and yet it is splendidly isolated here.


Below: Eddie and Ciocia Jane are trying out the water. They are braver than me - I'm happier getting submerged in the Baltic than I am even dipping my feet into Cardigan Bay. Click here for some visual contrasts with the best bit of the Baltic I've seen (admittedly I've only been five times in recent years).


Below: back from the beach, a view from outside the cottage where my brother and his family are staying. Splendid views, but the land falls away in steep cliffs.  


More tomorrow - the weather should hold, so we're hoping for a return to Porth Oer (Whistling Sands).

No comments: