Sunday 29 March 2020

"On my planet there is no disease"


Lent 2020 - Day 33

Where does this quote come from? These words have stuck with me for 30 years or more. While I seek an answer, I have devised a thought experiment.

Imagine that your consciousness is that of a being from another world - another galaxy even - vastly more evolved than humanity. But you are in human form. Brought up among humans, you interact with them, maintaining your cover; you observe them and their world closely, and you compare them. You have the wisdom. You see just how far they still have to go to catch up.

How does your world compare to Planet Earth in the early 21st century?

"Disease - eliminated aeons ago, along with war, poverty and natural disasters. Genetic progress has conquered ageing - and death. Genetic and spiritual progress. They have also tamed hatred and anger, cruelty, greed, laziness - and ego. Extended lifespans and technology allow us to travel vast distances across space, as our experience of time is far different to yours - your centuries, we treat as mere months. We communicate via telepathy - for us, no one holds secrets. We cooperate with each other to a degree that you could not begin to imagine. Learning is all important to us. Learning in depth and in breadth. In time, you too shall see. In time."

But religion - what is the religion on my planet?

"It is science; it is knowing; it is awareness."

And what is science on your planet?

"It is aiming towards total understanding of the phenomenon you know as consciousness, distributed as it is across the Universe. Sometimes, some of your artists show they have an inkling of it too..."



This one too...




This time two years ago:
A Brief History of Time review (Part II)

This time five years ago:
"We don't need no [tertiary] education"

This time six years ago:

Arthur's Seat - Edinburgh's urban mountain

This time six years ago:
Heaven

This time seven years ago:
A wee taste of Edinburgh


This time 11 years ago:
Forward go the clocks

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still trying to find the source quote....but to no avail. But I do remember it from ancient creative memory though.

Frater taykitonthechin

DC said...

No more sickness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxBbYROWVPY

Michael Dembinski said...

@ DC

I cannot thank you enough for this slab of wonderfulness! Don Bryant certainly knows how to get there. He'll be 78 this Saturday; he was 75 when he did this. AND he co-wrote 'I Can't Stand The Rain' with his wife Ann Peebles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Rjo_imHDE

DC said...

I'm glad you like it. I can't remember where I first heard it, but it grabbed me immediately. "A Nickel And A Nail" is pretty bad-ass too. The bridge on that gives me a little shiver every time I hear it.

Thanks for the Peebles link. I only knew about the disco version.