Friday 13 March 2020

Religion and feeling good


Lent 2020 - Day 17

I must have taken this photo (below) around 35 years ago; I was out and about with my camera near my childhood home in Hanwell one summer's Sunday when I met these two delightful ladies near the Salvation Army citadel (as their churches are called) on Leeland Road.


I was struck by the happiness and serenity in their faces and asked if I could take their photo; they obliged. As we got chatting, they told me that indeed, their religion had brought these qualities into their lives - although there was a note of moral smugness in their tone, as if their serenity had been paid for by good behaviour and charitable action.

A few Sundays later, while repeating my sentimental stroll down memory lane, I heard a brass band playing Onward, Christian Soldiers! from around the corner as I neared Grosvenor Road (not far from Leeland Road). This was the mid-1980s, but I remembered that in the 1960s the Salvation Army were similarly active on Sundays, bringing their particular brand of religion to the streets.


I daresay that many of the residents of West Ealing and neighbouring Hanwell, after a big night at the Grosvenor, the Old Hat, the Halfway House or the Green Man, were in no mood to have their lie-in terminated by a brass band with drums. But it was a tradition, I enjoyed coming across the Salvation Army on my strolls, and it's good to see they are still there at Leeland Road in anno domini 2020.

Ah yes - the Salvation Army even had a pop group that achieved chart success, the Joystrings.

Music is important to our samopoczucie (a great Polish word that had no direct translation in English - it's more that 'frame of mind' as it includes the body too). Some religions, some strands of Christianity - Puritanism, Calvinism, stress rejection of pleasure on the road to salvation. One must reach a balance (more on that soon).

A few days ago, I posited that religion offers some people certainty of eternal life after death (in the form of salvation), while for others, it was about peace of mind. I also mentioned that one can attribute good luck in one's life to religious beliefs. But there's also the notion of 'feel-good' religion, and anyone who has seen the film Blues Brothers will instantly remember the Triple Rock Baptist Church and our beloved the Reverend Cleophus James (played by James Brown), singing The Old Landmark. "When I woke up this morning/I heard a disturbin' sound..." "Don't be lost when the time comes/For the Day of the Lord comes as a thief in the night"

Hit it...



"Kneel an' pray in that ol' time way!"

Now, if that performance left you unmoved, left you sad, failed to bring a tear of joy to your eyes - then Jack, you dead.

"HAVE YOU SEEN THE LIGHT?"

"The band!"

"The band?"

"THE BAND!"

There is an elemental power at work here (as I mentioned in my post about music a few days ago, something entirely lacking in the Polish Catholic Church...)

DAMN. I just realised I have broken my Lenten resolution not to listen to any soul music!

This time two years ago:
Perivale Triptych

This time nine years ago:
Cycling and recycling

This time ten years ago:
Winter still holding out in the forest

This time 11 years ago:
Little car, huge price

This time 12 years ago:
Old school Łódź

1 comment:

Adelaide Dupont said...

Oh that syncopated temptation!

[yours truly also listened to soul music this morning]...

And what a great Polish word.

Late January 2020 I spent time with sam- and samo- especially when it came to self-preservation.