Sunday 11 December 2022

Winter proper

Snow outside the window this morning, with much more snow and frost forecast for the whole of this week, culminating in temperatures falling to -13C early on Wednesday morning.

With the onset of winter proper come transport problems. The train I caught from town to Chynów today was delayed by 67 minutes. I had arrived at the station for the next one, due an hour later, so the real inconvenience to me was not too bad. Below: rushing through the snow, between Zalesie Górne and Ustanówek station.

A quick look at Rozklad-pkp.pl (rozklad means 'timetable' - but it can also mean 'falling apart' or 'decomposition') shows the last three trains heading south through Chynów have been subject to an average delay of 20-25 minutes.

Tomorrow, I'm off to Kraków on business, back Tuesday evening... I'm anxious that this trip (Chynów-Warka-Kraków, Kraków-Warka-Chynów) will not go smoothly. I'll catch an earlier train to Warka and keep my fingers crossed that nothing goes terribly wrong... Worrying doesn't help, so a walk at dusk comforts my soul. Gratitude that a winter travel plan is my only worry needs to be expressed!

Below: at the end of the asphalt on my street. Through the portal and into the magic. The third day in a row (of eight) with the sun setting here at 15:24, the plateau of afternoon darkness.

 

Below: I just can't get enough of this klimat.


Below: still the snow falls. No footprints - only mine. Tracks of deer and hare - no elk today.


Below:
this is why I am here - winter, spring, summer or autumn - resonating with my consciousness. Neither Jeziorki nor Perivale have anything to show more fair.


Such a contrast with Warsaw's New Town. The magic's strong here and there. Spirit of place.

This time two years ago:
Goodbye to All That
[Two years on, Lidl is still managing to bring in the Cheddar!]

This time five years ago:
Half an inch of snow brings chaos to the UK

This time six years ago:
Łódź Fabryczna station opens again

This time eight years ago:
Pluses and minuses of PKP

This time nine years ago:
When transportation breaks down

This time ten years ago:
Take me back to Tulsa

This time 13 years ago:
Another book launch

This time 14 years ago:
Jeziorki in the 16th Century

This time 15 years ago:
Rotten weather, literally

No comments: