Thursday 27 March 2008

This MUST be the last snow of this winter!?

I woke up this morning (quarter past five and light already) to the sight of more snow. It had been just below zero all night and the wet snow was sticking to vertical surfaces. The sky was clear though. I set off early for a breakfast meeting in Warsaw's Nowe Miasto (next to the Old Town). Between Ratusz-Arsenał Metro station and my destination, I strolled throught the Ogród Krasińskich (below). Quarter past seven and no one around.

On via ul. Freta (below), which links the Old Town (Stare Miasto) with Nowe Miasto. Warsaw's still deserted at this hour. The temperature climbs above zero. The snow is not destined to last. By the time I get home, it's +8C and all traces of snow have disappeared out in Jeziorki. Will this finally be the last of this winter's snow?

Below: Nowe Miasto - the square. Finally, signs of life. It's twenty to eight. The paucity of cars in the square helps the composition, as does the woman in the red jacket. St Kazimierz's Church was the site of tragic loss of life during the Warsaw Uprising. I must say I do love Warsaw; I have taken this city to heart.


Supplementary: This was indeed the last snow of the winter.

No comments: