Thursday 20 March 2008

Snowstorm on the first day of spring

We've temporarily moved offices from Powiśle, a quiet part of Warsaw near the river and Łazienki Park, to al. Jana Pawła II (above) right in the heart of the central business district. This morning, arriving at work, I was caught up in a sudden snowstorm entirely out of place for late March. Snows do happen late (13 April 1997 is one I recall); many Poles remember May Day parades in short sleeved shirts and snow flurries. Harry Secombe once sang: "If I ruled the world, every day would be the first day of spring". No thanks. Neither do I wish it could be Christmas every day. Now, 18 May would be nice... Right: The view looking south along al. Jana Pawła II, on the corner of ul. Grzybowska. In the distance, the Rondo ONZ I skyscraper. This part of Warsaw is getting very high-rise. Across Grzybowska, behind the Westin hotel, another tall building is emerging from behind the scaffolding.

No comments: