Saturday 31 October 2009

A touch of frost in the garden

Ah! What a beautiful start to the day. The temperature dipped below zero in the early hours, enough to cover the lawn and shrubberies with a light ground frost (szron as opposed to szadź, the latter being fog freezing onto trees.)

Bad bad news too. Number one - I opened my curtains to see a molehill on the lawn - the first since last winter. I have a patented method now for dealing with the critters - send an e-mail to me for more details! Number two - light though the frost was, it burst a pipe (or rather a joint between pipe and tap) in the outdoor watering system. Someone had forgotten to turn off the water going into the garden.

Above: the silver birches at the end of the garden this the morning, looking resplendent with their gold leaves against a clear blue sky (enhanced by polarising filter).

2 comments:

student SGH said...

I've already used your method of cracking down on lawn pests and they haven't showed up for two months. But during the last attack they dug up a long track in the grass, so I had to use the deterrent in bulk ;)

Yesterday something prompted me to turn off the waterpipe running to the hose and outer tap. I don't mess with the frost...

I wonder how those birches are looking now - the ones in my neighbours garden shed their leaves in abundance...

Aphelion said...

The birch photo is wonderful, definitely my favourite! Too bad that the moles have returned, hope your method is as effective as ever! :-)