Tuesday 17 November 2009

Synchronicity of shape

Arriving at W-wa Powiśle this morning, I notice that the neon lights announcing the station name, above the eastern (low-level) entrance to the station have been fixed (above). Ever since the building had been turned over to a private-sector cafe operator, the place has been more beckoning. I guess by next spring, the terrace in the foreground will be overcrowded with literary types on fixed-wheel bikes sipping their lattes. For years, nothing was going on here. At last - a small sign of urban renewal. The neons look good at night. Shades of Mel's Diner (below).



I found myself thinking of a similarly shaped station I used to use when in London. In the 1980s, I'd cycle from home in Perivale and leave my bike in the bikeshed at Hangar Lane station (below). Photo dated December 1982. By the late 1980s, the Central Line proved so unreliable I'd either ride all the way into New Oxford Street where I worked, or, from 1990 onward, in winter I'd use my fold-up Brompton bike to ride two miles to Ealing Broadway station, for an eight-minute mainline train journey to Paddington, just two and half miles from my office.

Hangar Lane station was opened in 1947; W-wa Powiśle in 1954.

And W-wa Powiśle in the snow... click here.

No comments: